Marin County Free Library Technical Services
Marin County Technology Users Group
Dec. 11, 2008, 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
South Novato Library
- Still collecting blackboards! (We have 8 of the 13)
- Reminder: pretty screen shots = Print Screen, then paste into Word or Paint (demo of nasty popup screen shot)
- New Stuff Report:
- Group 2 PCs slowly going out...
- Some new PCs for WM circ (BOL, STB)
- FSMs are on order...
- New Millennium Thing: Print receipt to patron e-mail (demo)
- Service Advisory: LJ P2015 printers:
- One button, 5 sec. = config page
- Two buttons, 5 sec. = SYSTEM RESET
- Fun with Shuttles: they are going to be file servers running Linux or Windows
- Problems with limiting in the WebPAC: still happening? Worse now or not?
- Odd Projects We Do: Security Cameras at MCI
- Self Check News:
- 3 new 3M Self Checks at Novato (see photos)
- Plans for SNO: Innovative "Express Lane" to replace L'mations
- Work with MARINet office: reincarnating Jeeves
- Next month or two: Public Computer Advisory Board starts meeting bi-monthly
- Live Test: Let's all register for e-cards at once! (Call Deb before starting test)
- Administering public PCs: the EXEC account
- Windows account types: Users, Power Users, Administrators (and what we do with these)
- Our admin account on public PCs: exec
- Exec passwords vary by site (you should know your site's)
- PubNet users may be prompted for an administrative password when using media cards (OK to have staff enter it, but do not tell it to customers)
- Logging in to the exec account on PubNets and WebPACs: Log out holding down the Shift key
- To actually use a PC in exec, Unlock C: drive (remember to Lock C: when you're done)
- PCs are frozen, so other than bypassing LibOnline, no harm can be done to the PC
- Thoughts about emergencies when LO isn't running?
- SNO, NOV and MCI have a "staff" account that can be used for training, very similar to exec
- Library Online Report:
- Outages have ceased for now? Last reported was Monday, 11/26
- What weird issues are people seeing?
- Cash and Credit button problem (Thomas)
- Training and informational issues raised:
Tech Support Info Home
Created Dec. 10, 2008